Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Google Alerts and Twitter: Sustainability


A few Google Alerts I added to my list pertaining to sustainability include ecological footprint, habitat loss, and sustainable agriculture. I’m still getting the hang of Google Alerts so I tried to keep it limited to just a few. However, I am a big fan of twitter and started following @TreeHugger, @USEPASoutheast, @EPAsmartgrowth, and @EARTHWORKSrocks. I'm guessing my Alerts will start coming in tomorrow, since so far I haven't gotten any emails. On the other hand, my twitter timeline is already filled with all kinds of information and minute-by-minute updates from Treehugger.com, US EPA Southeast, and EARTHWORKS.
               It’s really neat to be able to access this information and be informed about issues affecting our every day lives with just the touch of my fingertips. A tweet from @USEPASoutheast that stood out most to me was an article, “One Girl’s Earth Saving Mission”, about a 4th grader named Brooklyn who has a true passion for the environment. She considers herself a superhero as she emphasizes on the 3 R’s: reuse, reduce, and recycle. Her motto “
Student by day, Earth Saver Girl by night!” explains her efforts in a nutshell – she informs everyone around her and teaches other kids about the importance of being green. This little snip-it made my day and makes me want to go out and spread the importance of the 3 Rs myself!
            The readings about sustainability stress the vitality of keeping our earth under good conditions so that we can live in harmony with nature, allowing us to carry out our purpose here on earth and to pursue our goals we have created from the start. I also learned that it is important to maintain sustainability and to stay on top of keeping our environment as pristine as possible, because as we have seen in recent matters, much of the damage we are accountable for is irreversible. The Wikipedia article suggested that sustainability as a science h
as tended to be problem-driven and oriented towards guiding decision-making more recently. Rather than controlling global issues, we are now striving to prevent them.

No comments:

Post a Comment